Engineering Manager, Tendermint Core
Interchain GmbH is a 20-person company which works on core blockchain technology. We are based in Berlin, but our team stretches from New York City to Ulyanovsk, Russia. We keep in touch through Slack and Zoom, and get together in person periodically (when COVID permits).
One of our responsibilities is Tendermint Core, a Byzantine Fault Tolerant consensus engine which powers a number of projects both inside and outside the blockchain space, including the Cosmos Network. All in all, Tendermint Core secures billions of dollars of value across many different systems. But we don’t take ourselves too seriously: We strive to build great software, while having a lot of laughs along the way.
The Tendermint Core team is responsible for building and maintaining this key, foundational system. As the Engineering Manager for this team, you’ll be responsible for
- Working with ecosystem-wide research teams to productionize cutting-edge
- Convening stakeholders from across the Cosmos ecosystem for conversations around upcoming features, roadmap and the future of the project.
- Making tough decisions around engineering priorities, including balancing feature development against technical debt.
- Keeping an ever-vigilant eye on security considerations, ensuring that contributions (internal or external) receive adequate review, and coordinating with ecosystem stakeholders to handle security incidents when they occur
- Supporting individual engineers in their work and professional development, through regular one-on-ones and feedback sessions.
- Reviewing pull requests from community contributors and fielding feature requests and community contributions.
- In coordination with other Interchain team members and the development roadmap, determining resource requirements, writing job descriptions, and conducting hiring processes for engineers on the Cosmos Hub team
We’re not especially picky about your previous experience, but we're looking for candidates who ideally have:
- Experience leading an engineering team. You’ve hired and supported engineers, and you know how to debug people problems as well as technical issues.
- A solid understanding of distributed systems fundamentals, and real world experience with distributed systems. You have worked on systems that have nuanced concurrency and data models.
- Great communication skills. You speak and write with clarity, and have a high degree of empathy. You are comfortable working with people across company lines and can collaborate with strangers over the internet.
- Curiosity and a desire to learn new things. You are keen to continue honing your craft, and you’re not afraid to jump into an unfamiliar area.
- A taste for simplicity. You know how to choose good abstractions and make sensible choices around 3rd party dependencies.
- Demonstrated ability to take ownership. You finish what you start and keep a high standard of quality. You take pride in your work.
- Experience maintaining an open source project and collaborating with external contributors.
- A home base within our working timezones. You are probably based in a timezone between UTC-5:00 (New York) and UTC+3:00 (Moscow).
It is nice, but not a requirement, to be familiar with:
- Consensus algorithms, like Paxos, Raft, or PBFT
- Blockchains or other distributed databases
- P2P systems
Not sure if you're a fit? Please feel free to apply anyways, and we'll take it from there.
Interchain GmbH believes that great people come from a broad range of backgrounds, and that the diversity of our team is one of our strengths. Discrimination has no place at Interchain GmbH and we do not discriminate on the bases of race, color, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, religion, disability, or sexual orientation. We are committed to fighting bias and discrimination in our workplace and in our communities.